The blogging task:
Thanks so much to +Juliet Revell who has nominated me to this elite (teehee) club. I feel 11 again…
So here goes…
11 Random Facts About Me
1. I have managed to teach across Years 0-8, twice. Yup. The biggest jump from Year 8 to Year 0.
2. I taught in a nursery for a few weeks and was VERY happy to return to the real world of primary school teaching.
3. I swore that I would never teach anyone younger than Year 4 but have to thank Dennis (my ex-principal) for throwing me in the deep end…best learning curve EVER.
4. I lived in the UK and worked there for 10 years.
5. I am always humming or tapping to a song and struggle to keep still.
6. I did NOT do 'well' at school. I worked hard if I liked the teacher and/or the subject.
7. My rebellious year group in high school managed to transport our maths teacher's Mini UP inside the block, two storeys up, and place it in the 7th form commonroom. We never got caught.
8. I have a VERY naughty nature (see number 7) and. given the chance, will be the first to come up with, plan, plot and stage, anything remotely impish. I just need a victim and/or a partner in crime…
9. In the UK, our school was closed for nearly a month while we were relocated to a hotel when there was asbestos found on site, like, EVERYWHERE. Actually the principal and caretaker fell through the roof of the gym and opened the can of worms so to speak.
10. Balloon riding at dawn over Capadoccia, Turkey, rates as one of my favourite memories when travelling. However, white water rafting in Austria, scuba-diving in Antigua and visiting the pyramids of Gaza are also up there.
11. I am an absolute movie lover and a bookworm.
The 11 Questions From Juliet:
1. What movie provided you with a new perspective?
'Amazing Grace'. This movie was eye-opening and terrible at the same time as being refreshingly honest. Gives you hope in the power of one person and their ability to change the world.
2. What inspires you?
This is easy - my parents. They are and always have been, the coolest people ever. They were never rich but our home was always rich with love, laughter, friends and great advice. My dad is still my first port of call and we speak several times a day since my mum passed away.
3. What was the toughest challenge you faced in 2013? Did you
overcome it? What helped you?
Probably becoming a team leader for the first time and also writing, producing and directing a whole school production with 850 students in that same year!
4. Who was the last person that made you laugh? Why?
My husband. He just cracks me up.
5. Name one of your proudest moments.
I'm a mum so I always have proud 'mummy' moments!
6. Is there a phrase that you currently use too often?
Hmmmm…I don't think so…maybe you need to check with my husband! I often say, "Nice one, taking one for the team…" though!
7. Have you ever cried to get something you wanted?
Oh dear. YES.
8. What do you find hardest to teach your students?
The value in thinking for themselves. They often want the easy questions or the easy answers.
9. What dish do you cook really well?
I make a really mean creamy pasta.
10. What is the most interesting place that you have travelled to?
I think that I would say Puerto Rico. Loved that place!
What made it so?
Really contrasting living conditions, 3rd world meets 1st world. But also the VERY best coffee that I have ever tasted.
11. Who makes you smile when you think of them? Why?
My own 3 kids. They are just awesome!
My 11 nominated bloggers are:
11 Questions of my own for my 11 bloggers:
1. Who is the most famous person you have ever met?
2. If you could spend a day with anyone from any era or country, who would it be and why?
3. What is the greatest challenge you have faced in life?
4. What is your favourite childhood memory?
5. What has changed for the better and the worst in teaching since you were at school?
6. Who is the most inspiring teacher you had as a student and why?
7. What do you need to change or develop this year (personal challenge time!)?
8. Where would you love to travel to and why?
9. If you went to a 'P' party (something starting with the letter 'P') what would you wear?
10. If you were a super hero what would be your superpower?
11. What is one thing you would change in the world if you could change anything?