Thursday, December 15, 2011

Last Day


Well, it's the last day of school for 2011. Outside, I can hear the happy voices of the children waiting for the bell to ring, for the final time this year, to welcome them back into our classroom. The day will fly by - it always does.

But for me, this year is different. This year, the farewells and last day moments are personal. For today, my association with my wonderful school ends for me as a parent. Today, I farewell my last, youngest child from this hallowed and happy place of learning. Today, I see the last of my 3 children graduate from primary school and enter a much greater time of independence.

No more post-It notes in my office at the end of lunchtime, lovely notes from my daughter who enjoys writing me little messages.
No more knowing everything that is going on in her life.
No more coming to school with mum and running back to my room at 3pm.

Perhaps this is a very good thing. Apart from the post-It notes, those I will REALLY miss!

It is time for the last one to fly off to intermediate and find her place in the world outside of the safe and warm place that is primary school.
And it is time for me to shed a few tears, laugh a lot and smile proudly. Not just for my daughter as she leaves but also for my lovely class as we farewell one another for the year. Bittersweet is the best way to describe it all, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment